The village background:
- It is located at an elevation of 2,119 m (about 6,952 feet) above sea level with a population of about 1,800.
- It has a continental climate with Oceanic influence. Summers are moderately hot and winters are very cold and long.
- Night temperatures tend to be below freezing point for half of the year months.
- Summer usually starts in June and ends in late September.
- The average annual precipitations are above 400 mm (about 16 inches) but can reach up occasionally to 800 mm (about 31 inches).
- Rainfall is distributed evenly throughout the year, although summer tends to have lower precipitations than average.
The main problems to solve:
- How to get clean water for the people living there at a low cost?
- How to teach the people (illiterate people) to get their own water without travelling great lengths to get it?
- How to get heat with low costs?
- How to teach them to self-produce and self-sustain the heat?
If possible, I'd like to know about low cost technologies that would help in making the tasks mentioned above easier.
I'd also like to know about the ways in which we can use the characteristics of the field to our advantage and make local products that contribute to the final goal of founding a self-sufficient village in terms of heat and water.