We are in the near future (2020). The USA president have received a box labeled 'Communication'. After security check, the box rings and a voice says
- 'You have to choose 1 million people per year to give to us. Otherwise, many more will die.'
After a brief silence period, the same voice says
- 'You have 3 minutes to decide'.
After 3 minutes, all the people in New York simply die. Legists would say that it was some kind of EMP for brains. The box open up some kind of projector, displaying images of dead people in NY. Then, the voice asks again.
- '1 million per year. Yes or no? You have 3 more minutes.'
The box don't seem like any kind of human technology. We can't track it and, worse, no sensor had seem any space craft or anything waiting on the neighbor of our Solar System. We are full blind with one decision to make.
'Yes', says the president.
'In one year from now, we will be back. You you choose who will be given. You can use any human or computer understandable format to populate the 1 million names.'
- We can't investigate the aliens. We tried to send some spy. Dead silence.
- We never knew, exactly, what happened in NY. We just know that was their attack.
- The incident and conditions was made public, so it is a world leaders decision.
- Can't fight the aliens. The 1 million donations HAS to happen.
- Each 1 year period, the chosen will just flash out from Earth.
- The chosen don't need to know that they were chosen.
Well, we are totally blind. Seems like the aliens are far ahead of our technology. After a lot of debates over human rights and who to send, we've decided to send prisoners, but they won't last longer. We are now on 2022, and have sent 2 waves of 1 million humans prisoners. Both waves containing prison population. But we don't have enough prisoners to send forever and it would still be a problem.
How should the world address this issue? Who to send and how to decide?