I was rewatching Secret war from Love, Death & Robots and started wondering, would the monsters from that episode pose any actual threat in today's world? Let's assume the monsters have similar characteristic as the ones in LDR.
- No special magical abilities
- Faster and stronger than humans
- Live and breed underground, but hunt on the surface
- Live in hive like structures. When a hive reaches a certain size it sends out colonizing workers which try to establish a new hive 10 to 100 km away from its original location. The new hive operates as individual entity independent from original hive.
- Mostly nocturnal, but can operate in daylight if forced
- There are several variants of the monsters, where smaller ones develop and mature faster than bigger ones.
- Hunt and kill any animal including humans that comes their way
- Posses enough intelligence to successfully hunt in packs.
For this scenario it is irrelevant if monsters came to Earth through a failed magical ritual or are part of a failed cloning experiment. They exist and until they reach high numbers almost nobody is aware they exist. People become aware of the monsters when they start appearing and hunting in big cities. Lets put first big hives in the Amazon rainforest in Brasil. First sightings and mass killings happen in Brasils state Para and Mato grosso. How would government and military react to this threat. How fast should monster be able to multiply and expand in order to avoid extermination.
Edit: Added some more specific information.