The Story takes place in the modern world, and starting from one day anyone who recently died with their brain intact will revive as a zombie to feed on living flesh.
In this question we will not discuss how to make realistic zombies like in previous ones, we will save that for another time.
In George A Romero's Living Dead Series, the zombie outbreaks started out easily taken care of in the first film "Night Of The Living Dead", but by the time in the second film "Dawn Of The Dead" the situation quickly escalates into a full blown apocalypse. This might be explained that since the story takes place in the 1960s or something the military maybe wasn't well armed enough, and no-one had zombie fiction rules to use as a reference. But since my story takes place in modern cities where most people understand the concept of zombies and therefore can protect themselves and deal with zombies better, So I doubt that society would collapse as depicted in most zombie fiction works.
Some people say that the zombies have an advantage of having the reanimation phenomenon thingy appearing all around the world at once, but given how slow moving/weak the zombies are I don't know if this advantage would be useful.
Here's how zombies work in this scenario:
- Once someone dies without having their brain destroyed, it takes a few minutes until they revive as a zombie.
- The only way to kill zombies is by busting their brain.
- Zombies retain a certain level of intelligence/memories they had when they are alive, so they could use tools or try to open doors/windows, but they have no sense of self perservation and are driven purely by the hunger for human meat. (This means that they also don't feel any emotions like fear, plus they completely lose their humanity AKA empathy or morality)
- They are slow moving and cannot run
- If a human was bitten by a zombie they will slowly get sick over the course of three days and eventually die. If you preform an amputation ASAP then this can be avoided.
- Let's just assume that zombies eat to slow down their rotting, and without food intake it takes around a month till they are reduced to immobile piles of flesh and bone.
The Question: Can humanity defeat the zombies in a situation like this? (Stop zombies from causing mass destruction) If the zombies can't win (By winning I mean to cause civilization to dissappear, not kill all humans to cause distinction) then you can try to come up ways to buff them for bonus points. :)
Thanks for ur time!
EDIT2: Please provide an explanation for your answer so I would know for sure.