You're planning to move to the rich country of Lycania (names are a work in progress, ok?), a country as big as the USA plus half of Canada, where you have been offered a good position which would make you earn far more than your current job, giving you an alternative to a mediocre life. Lycania is the one true first world country in a slowly decaying world, and there are people who would [literally] kill to live there.
The catch: Lycania's original inhabitants are werewolves. While most of them are quite accustomed to their culture and remain within their isolated nation bordered by snow lands to the South, and at North only the sea, immigrants go through the struggle of fighting for survival once a month.
The amount of control Lycans have over their wolven self is not uniform: some rely purely on animal instinct, some have a great degree of control on their monthly powers, turning said control sometimes towards avoiding beastly actions, in other cases towards evil uses. The Lycan governement limits the amount of damage by doing all they can to limit access to government owned dangerous facilities and equipment (military vehicles and weapons primarily), but in this society of natural hunters guns and other simple weapons are not that hard to come by - think USA - as if the werewolf nature wasn't enough to make them dangerous.
You want desperately to take the job, but you wouldn't mind surviving decently past the age of <insert your age here>. You (individually and/or via your employer who will likely offer a solution to help you as part of the benefits) need a plan that can guarantee you high chances of survival (>90%) for multiple full moons - ideally an infinite amount of them, but if you make it for a few months you'll have been around long enough to find alternatives as well, and will have saved enough to have better alternatives.
As it may have a huge impact, you can consider two separate cases:
- Your means are such that your purchase power and connections are those of an average working class person
- You are already considerably wealthy and well connected (this implies that the job in Lycania would make you filthy rich in a few years' time by the way)
Some further points and requirements:
- You could aim to become a werewolf, but either you don't want to or the risks are too high (because I said so... i.e. I don't know the official reason yet)
- Werewolves are humanoid wolves with prehensile hands, or forepaws, who can move both on 2 and 4 limbs: they can get as big as 115% of their human version (that approximately applies to both size and weight)
- Silver (as well as garlic) is not lethal to them on a regular basis, but it is essentially an allergen to which all werewolves have some type of reaction ranging from mild to very strong; there seems to be an inverse correlation between the amount of control Lycans have during full moon, and the strength of their reaction to silver, so instinct driven Lycans will generally avoid it
- They can be killed with regular weapons but will not be slowed down unless their limbs are seriously maimed, or a vital organ is hit, otherwise they will heal much faster than a normal human being
- The transformation happens for all werewolves on the night when the moon is at its fullest, from dusk till dawn
- You have some time (~ 6 months) before you start working, and your employer is willing to arrange flights in and out of Lycania for you during those months to get settled, as they understand outsiders' needs
- You can rely on passive defences (think fortified apartment/house) or active ones, and combine them together as needed: do keep in mind that some resources are finite, e.g. bullets, and you cannot easily rely on just having enough of them
- You can hire contractors, bodyguards, and so on, but a) if they're non-werewolves they're usually extremely highly paid professionals, b) if they are werewolves, they may be of the evil type and turn their knowledge of the work you had them do against you
- You don't have the option to leave the country just before full moon: planes and ships out of Lycania are much less frequent and more expensive close to a full moon, and priority admission is granted by the government
- Very tall mountains, very big lakes, or the sea, are not easily reachable from where you will be living, unless you have a specific plan in mind
- You can rely on leaving work earlier than usual on the day before a full moon: 3pm rather than the usual 5pm; you cannot however plan on taking one or more days off work every month
- There is a small police and army force of Lycans who know how to control their instincts, however that alone takes most of their willpower, so that they are not really effective in restraining other werewolves
- If a Lycan of the evil type has anything against you they will likely try to harm you during the night, as finding proof of their actions will be highly unfeasible and as a non-werewolf you are easier to find and attack than others they may want to hurt as well; remember that this type has a still functioning human intellect and can rely on tools, vehicles and weapons if necessary, as well as make plans and form packs, so simply locking yourself in your house is not reliable enough
- The technology level is very similar to that of "our" 2015, the main difference being that medical solutions to inhibit or control the transformation are being researched, and that tools for restraining werewolves have been invented throughout the ages: these are nowadays mostly produced and used abroad, or by families with difficult pups... errrr, children
I will edit/add to these if necessary, please point out if you believe they're not consistent, or lack something, as it's still a work in progress