For the sake of argument, please assume the following:
- The planet in question is around the size of Earth
- The planet may contain native intelligent life, artificially engineered
- The planet is artificially constructed
- The civilization (composed of normal matter) constructing the planet or how they construct one is irrelevant
- There is an artificial magnetic shield on the L1 point of that planet, made of normal matter, shielding the planet from the local stellar wind (that would cook the planet by continuous matter-antimatter annihilation if the planet wasn't shielded)
- The magnetic shield only protects the planet within its shadow (the shadow's (magnetic equivalent of an umbra engulfs the planet up to around 1.2 times the radius of the planet), with a little opening that allows sunlight (just sunlight) to pass through the shield and light the planet
- The planet has a moon, about the size of our Moon, but it is composed of normal matter
- The civilization constructing the planet (and that put the magnetic shield in-place) is also constructing and operating large arrays of orbital defence system that diverts "normal matter asteroids or comets" from collision with the planet
- The star, is a normal G class star, comparable to our Sun
For the sake of experiences, a very advanced civilization constructed an earth-like planet, complete with local biospheres and native intelligent civilization, with a tech level comparable to Earth at the early age of the space race. They were about to start their first moon landing.
Due to the magnetic shield's presence, they could safely went into low orbit (only when they realize a the large magnetic shield is in-place, without knowing the function of the shield (that said, they don't know what kind of threat were shielded by the shield)), but not to space (they can't go to the moon without magnetic shielding, and only find that when they cross region beyond the shield's protection, they'll be cooked with sudden surge of gamma radiations.
The public perceives
- The shield protects them from unknown evil forces that will beam up ships from going beyond the protection of the shield, with dangerous levels of gamma radiation
- They know nothing (yet) about matter and antimatter
- What would their scientists postulate about the sudden surge of gamma radiation when they went beyond regions shielded by the magnetic shield?
- What would they think of the shield and its purpose, scientifically?