In my world, technology that could alter a living creature's biology (later called Lazarus Tech) became incredibly popular in many places, until the overuse of the technology cause countless millions to mutate into monsters (later called Lazarus Beasts). The USA was hit the hardest by this event (later called the Uproar), and a group of people from the USA decided to hit their own country with several nuclear warheads to prevent the Lazarus Beasts from spreading out and killing more people.
Currently, around 300 years have passed since the Uproar, and I am trying to figure out how the nuclear bombardment affected North America. I believe it is safe to assume the radiation has dissipated by now, but what would the landscape look like? Additionally, I would like to know if the nuclear bombardment of the USA would negatively affect the rest or the world, so that my worldbuilding holds up.
Important things to note for this setting:
- Lazarus Beasts are essentially megafauna for all intents and purposes (typically reaching car size).
- Lazarus Beasts are biologically separate from humans at this point.
- Some people mutated into beastfolk, developing animal-like qualities.
- Many countries and governments are still active (ie. Russia, Greenland, Australia, etc.).
- Lab-Grown food is easily accessible to the remaining governments.