Basically, what would cause an army to go back to riding creatures in cavalry, as opposed to armored vehicles.
- The mounts can be armored, but they have to be what you'd normally think of as creatures; horses, turtles, etc. Said mounts do not have to be real, but they have to be within the bounds of what we could create with modern breeding and/or genetic engineering within a 100 year timeframe.
- The people the cavalry are riding against is a modern army, although you can make changes to this if that's what would allow cavalry to return.
- The people riding the creatures are modern soldiers, although, as above, this can be changed.
- The cavalry doesn't have to win, it just has to be there. Of course, if it doesn't win, modern armies probably wouldn't use them.
- By "used", I mean in battle.
- People are still using all the techniques of modern warfare; not just a wall of infantry.
- Make sure the answers are resource-viable.
Thanks in advance!