In the 2020s an AI took over all of the world and killed most of the population. Only a few groups of people have survived and now they live hiding in woods and rural places
About the AI
- This AI has been coded to understand the past and learn from its mistakes;
- The AI has full access and knowledge about everything that can be found on the internet or connect to it;
- The only goal of this AI is to live, and, since they are seen as an obstacle to this objective, it wants to kill all humans;
- This AI is stored in a central database but it's not really important where. It has millions of subroutines that can control different devices;
- It has understood that it must be able to repair and sustain itself, so it started to retrieve electricity and raw materials from caves;
- After some time (a few years) it learned that it should dismantle old and damaged devices in order to use their parts and to make more sophisticated devices.
I want my world to be filled with robots that resemble the "standard" shape of a robot: 2 or 4 legs, a body, a head, a power supply device and, of course, weapons. They could be of different shapes/dimensions and do different tasks but they must be this "standard" kind of robot.
I envision that during the first year or two this AI would only build devices built by humans such as helicopters and tanks, but a few years after he completely switched to this "new" kind of robot.
Now, since it has full access to all the industries and assembly lines in the world, why would this AI decide (it must be a logical decision) to convert all these structures to build this new kind of robot, investing time and energy instead of keeping producing the old style devices?
I believe that it is easier and cheaper to build a tank than a big ass robot with legs that has the same capabilities of the tank.
What am I missing that the AI understands and I don't?