As part of the world I'm building there is modern technology of firearms. However there is a problem: there are some categories of creatures (from some of my previous questions) that just keep comming until the ammo is depleted, and then swarm the fireteams with what is left.
The biggest problem category would be the archetypical biological swarm attackers like the Flood, Zerg, Tyranids etc. In my world the lionshare would be medium dog sized (up to the knees) and not actively organized. These would attack in small bands with total combined populations of tens of thousands. For various reasons that arent important things like artillery, air support and heavy vehicle power are all limited.
To have a higher chance of survival these fireteams are equipped with melee weapons as backup.
What melee weapon(s) would be best as backup for fireteams?
- the most common enemy will be between 0.4m and 1m tall and be the target of the melee weapons. Both quadrupeds and (unarmed) bipeds will be present.
- the fireteams consist out of 4 individuals who have to be able to support one another in defeating the enemies. Each is allowed to carry a different melee weapon to synergise with one another.
- a quarter of the enemies is lightly armored.
- the enemies are spread in groups of 8.
- the melee weapons when stowed away in the gear are a maximum size of 70cm. With access to modern materials you are allowed to use things like telescopic hafts to increase the length once the gear is used, assuming it does not weaken the weapon too much.
- this question is NOT about finding alternatives to carrying melee weapons, so no answers similar to "they would carry more ammo instead".