People on my planet can use magic in some way. Some can only throw sparks from their fingers and some can cast thunders, the same with fire, water, air and arcane (telekinesis, teleportation etc).
Technology is Earth-like medieval times. People who are gifted with great power are the ones who rule the countries and similar amount of magical power is passed on to offspring, so two poor-gifted ones can't have children with great power. This resembles feudal system - peasants stay peasants, nobles stay nobles, peasants work for nobles.
Magic is used in a battlefield but has not entirely dominated it. The most powerful are known for instanly killing 100 people in the battle with one spell, yet are left tired (like sprinting 200m is for a trained soldier - not exhausting, but still feeling the run). There are units who use only magic, but regular soldiers might use magic of their own during the fight (like swinging the sword with right hand and casting a spell in the other).
One day the planet was attacked from space by an alien species that posses technology similar to ours with some differences like FTL, advanced AI (but not self-aware). Armements are roughly similar to ours (no lasers, no death-rays, slightly upgraded bullet-based guns).
What could be the possible outcome of such a war? Do you think magic world could fend of the attackers, or eventually the aliens would prevail?
More info (includes edits):
- Medieval soldiers are used to fighting in a battlefield, while the alient species use modern day tactics.
- Alien species have no idea about magic and see it for the first time.
- Wizards can combine spells together to make one but more powerful.
- Alien invaders kill everything that moves, their true motives are unknown (there's an assumption they want to kill significant amount of people and enslave the ones that are left alive)
- Wizards can create a magical shield, which defends the caster or the place/person caster picks, but it has some durability, just like real shields + it's tiring for the caster to maintain the shield on. Combining these spells could create a city-big shield.
- Weather conditions can't change magical projectiles's trajectory
- Magical projectiles will travel any given distance unless encountering an object on it's way
- Aliens don't use AI robots instead of organic soldiers.
- Telepathy is a valid form of communication between natives.
EDIT: Let's assume a scenario:
Aliens already attacked the planet, causing some damage. They sent two Star Destroyer-like ships, the rest of the fleet is still on hold in a further orbit (not relevant right now). In one of the countries the most powerful wizards in each major city combined their spells and attacked the ships from the ground completely destroying one of them and dealing some heavy damage to the other one, that it has to retreat. How would aliens possibly react to such a counter attack?