Let's say that there is a warlike tribe that focuses on raiding small villages. They are kind of like the Vikings, but they don't arrive by riverboats; they strike the oblivious villages, arriving quickly on large cats. Then, they quickly exit after stealing valuables.
The tribe chose to raid villages effectively by utilizing fast mounts. This way, they could strike and exit rapidly. Unfortunately, horses weren't an option; they don't live in the area (because feline mounts are just more interesting). So, they chose a feline species that seemed most effective for this purpose. The question is, which species of felines did they choose?
- Don't worry about the size. I am well aware that felines aren't the best for riding, so I decided to adjust the size of the species (make them larger so they would be able to run while carrying humans). Basically, whatever species is the answer, I will slightly enlarge them so they would be able to carry humans.
- Also don't worry about the natural habitats of the species. I will also adjust the environment so that the species could be naturally found there.
- The species shouldn't be impossible to tame and train. The tribe is using the cats for raiding, and it would be bad for them if the cats attacked them instead or swayed to another direction.
- The species shouldn't be too rare. There should be a decent number of them, and they shouldn't be impossible to breed.
- They won't be running a long distance. They just need to be able to enter and exit the village. So while some stamina might be necessary, the species don't have to be extremely sturdy.
- It's good if the species is fast.
- The setting is a medieval setting. Think about the tribe as Vikings.