The world is suffering from the creatures of fantasy and nightmares which can appear with just a few minutes of warning anywhere, regardless of it being the middle of the street or on top of your bed while you are asleep. It can be a single one, or millions that swarm the area. The world's infrastructure has been degrading, food and supplies are harder and harder to come by. While firearms work well against these creatures the bodies left behind attract and breed both insects and disease. It is not feasible to hold on to area's with low populations as a sudden appearance of many nightmares can wipe them out.
As resources to make armor become harder to come by civilians turn to the only resource they have in abundance: dead nightmarish bodies. They have slowly but surely started an entire industry around the collection, transport and processing of all the bodies into as many useful things as they can.
Civilians will be making armor for themselves to wear. However armor is usually restrictive and will not be worn all day to ensure the civilians can keep working to survive. This poses a problem: when do you put on the armor? If a few creatures appear it is not efficient to shut down half a cityblock and have everyone scramble for armor and pre-prepared hiding places. Instead people nearby react immediately while those far off will react once an alert is given for them to do so. That means armor needs to be quick to put on and not very cumbersome, but still increase the chance of survival.
The question: How can an abundance of dead bodies be used to create a useful armor?
Conditions that apply:
- use of alternative materials is allowed, as long as 75% or more of the armor is gained from the dead bodies.
- anything of the creatures can be used, including in processed forms that do not require vast industrial facilities to create. Their skin, bones, remaining fecal matter or small quantities of specialist materials if you see a use.
- the size of the creatures goes from dog-sized to paraceratherium-sized (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraceratherium).
- while Cthulian sushi-monsters, giant spiders and more are part of the nightmare force, for ease of answering the important bulk of the bodies are of similar in consistency as pigs, bears and cows and any other bodies are discounted (unless only tiny amounts of material needs to be gained from this group of bodies). any magical properties, like the giant spiders not collapsing under their own weight, are instantly gone upon death of the creature. the refinement process can take a maximum of 5 years.
The best answer will be chosen based on the following criteria, in order of importance:
- easy to put on
- one-size-fits-all (where possible)
- if the above criteria can't be met, easy to carry with you.
- blunt protection (club-like appandages, being rammed by a big body)
- stabbing protection (pointy legs and appandages)
- cutting appandages (long sharp nails, sword-like cutting appandages)
- crushing (pincers, constrictor attacks)
- friendly fire (low-grade bullets, low velocity shrapnel)
Ps: I suspect that the first answers will be on the line of "some type of Gambeson or hard boiled leather armor". That is fine, but I would like to see imagination in how it can be constructed and what its made off. An imaginative example might be a modular armor which at its core can be used for everyday wear and have pieces added on quickly to improve its protective properties.