This is an extention of these question: Using dead bodies for material 4: ammunition and Arming all untrained people with firearms, which weapon would do?
The world is suffering from the creatures of fantasy and nightmares which can appear with just a few minutes of warning anywhere, regardless of it being the middle of the street or on top of your bed while you are asleep. It can be a single one, or millions that swarm the area. The world's infrastructure has been degrading, food and supplies are harder and harder to come by. While firearms work well against these creatures the bodies left behind attract and breed both insects and disease. It is not feasible to hold on to area's with low populations as a sudden appearance of many nightmares can wipe them out.
In some settings there are some expectations that almost always feature, like airships in steampunk and dwarves with axes. In this case some of the nightmarish creatures require the ministrations of Hans and his Flamethrower.
While I could hand-wave that flamethrowers are simply produced and available I would prefer for flamethrowers to be build and maintained with the limited resources at hand, mainly dead bodies.
The question: what is the most capable flamethrower possible with a limited amount of supplies?
Conditions that apply:
- the flamethrower is portable by one person.
- approximately more than 75% of the flamethrower has to be of non-metals since those are in short supply. If that isn't possible, explain where and why your version uses more.
- the most abundant materials are from dead bodies. Any material you can get from them in large quantities is allowed.
To select the most capable flamethrower it is graded on the following, in order of importance:
- it needs to be safe enough not to burn the user in normal operation (someone bursting your tanks is not normal operation)
- it needs to significantly burn the opponent rather than leave a few scorch marks. Opponents are assumed to not wear armor.
- for the above point a type of fuel needs to be chosen, potential available fuel types can be found here: Using dead bodies for material 3: fuel
- it needs to reach at minimum 5m in distance.
- an approximate idea of the duration of one burst. Longer is better. Exception: a flamethrower like the Russian LPO-50 could not stop its burst of flame which makes extended bursts a potential problem.
- the amount of bursts
- the amount of times the flamethrower is expected to be re-used or as an alternative the rarer to obtain parts to be recycled.
I understand that a full and exact list of capabilities is nigh on impossible without building one. That is why I will be satisfied with approximate values.