Heating up with some context
I have a kingdom where large patches of forest and dense vegetation lands are lying, ranging from mountainous (al)pine forests to deciduous trees from oceanic or mildly continental climates, with a tendancy to grow a little more of fast growing trees and bushes than usual (reason below). Some villages and towns are scattered in them, making their trade from the resources of the surrounding woods.
However, because of the caracteristics of some of the flora inhabitants, wildfires are more frequent than usual; These trees burning up are a threat to the people, so the kingdom has devised a whole military branch to protect people living in the woodlands and their outskirts.
As such, denizens have built watchtowers, pumps and wells, breakable barrages and "switchable river" systems in an effort to, if not extinguish, mitigate those disasters. Firefighter squads are not left out naked, as they have access to quality equipment to help them : Horse-carried water carriages, axes and shovels to dig fire barriers, ladders and ropes to navigate around... But also lots of buckets to get help from the population, kits to heal injuries and even a prototype of a fire hose (they worked really, really hard on this one!).
A burning interrogation
Thinking about the "offensive" part of the loadout of firefighters is relatively easy to find and mix into your own sauce on your hot sausage, since firefighting tools history and techniques can be found here and there. The problem is... Even though it's nice to douse fires, it's not very fun to burn from said fires. And alas, I have a harder time finding good sources of inspiration to protect oneself against fire.
This is why I let out my blazing curiosity out to you with this question : How and with what would you design a team of firefighter protective equipment as effectively as possible, within the time frame of medieval technology?
In order to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, below are some additional points to think about, right out of the oven!
- During emergencies, firefighters behave like how you'd think a firefighter should behave, and can be resumed in 3 words : Save or perish. The goal is to find the best way to keep them from perishing :).
- While they will help cats to climb down trees here and then, their primary task is still fighting fires; They are less often called for other cases.
- Also, even though I talked a lot about potential wildfires before, they do take care of house fires too. But... Since wildfires are often a lot harder to take on and they are the historical reason firefighters exist, their equipment are focused against them.
- The budget on this branch of military forces is a lil' bit higher than your usual soldier, however there are quite a number of firefighters, and the uniform is standard-issue. What I mean is that you should avoid burning up the kingdom budget by sewing tailor-made suits with gold and silver.
- Overall technology level is medieval, up to 14th century, especially when looking at materials and energy sources (that is, if you'd use any). I am more lenient on technics such as mechanical and physics knowledge or finely detailed crafting, but it should be plausible in regards to that time period.
- Even though there is magic in my world, it is forbidden, as it unravels against the standard issue rule (not everyone can use magic).
- On a similar topic, available materials are roughly what you'd expect you have in a medieval Europe.
So now you know a little more, how will you ignite your mind to save these brave men and women fending of the flames to save you?