I'm sure you're wondering what I mean, so here's the background:
This question concerns Misseena's evolutions (see Why Would Humanoid Kaijura Partner With Humans? for more on Misseena), Samurin and Samurayna, which in turn can become the leaders of merfolk society by evolving into Samuregis.
Here's the problem; Samurin are pragmatic and sensible, levelheaded, and always make the smartest strategic decision. However, Samurayna are sensitive and emotional; they think with their heart, not their head.
Because of this, the Samurin want to keep the Samurayna subordinate (so they can't foul up important decisions because emotion blinded their better judgement). In other words, the Samurayna cannot be leaders, because they are too likely to put what they feel is right over common sense (in the Samurin's view).
So, my question is What Social Structure or Method Will Best Suit This Purpose? Specifically, how can the Samurin best keep the Samurayna in the warrior role and far away from leadership roles?
- When Misseena are born, they are subsequently educated (and indoctrinated with cultural principles) and then sent out into the wild (in small groups, aptly called cliques) to earn their place in society. Once a member of a clique evolves, the clique can return home and take their rightful place in mermaid society, with the Samurin or Samurayna as the leader and the Misseena as their followers. This is problematic for two reasons: A) there is an equal (AKA 50/50) chance of a Misseena evolving into either Samurin or Samurayna out in the wild, and a Samurin or Samurayna in a leadership position has a 70-30% chance of evolving into a Samuregis (Samurin 70%, Samurayna 30%). B) the Samurin are the ones who came up with this equal-merit system-not only will there be CONSIDERABLE pushback if they try to remove it and put in another, but the Samurin's reputation as leaders who always make the best choice may be weakened, and their authority with it.
- What the Samurin want is a system that will allow the Samurayna to gain power among their own kind, while making them subordinate to Samurin. Ideally, a Samurayna-turned-Samuregis should not only obey a Samurin's orders without question, but should even allow a Samurin to ride her (please note the symbolism of the latter).
As always, I appreciate your input and feedback, and if there is a problem that prompts you to down- or close-vote, please give me an explanation so I can make better questions in the future. Thank you all!