Location: Planet Hope, Proxima Centauri.
Terraformation status: 97.8% Earth-like.
The residents of this planet live in a paradise-like environment. The gravity and atmosphere is almost identical to Earth. 25% of Earth's flora and fauna, the most important species, are successfully imported and maintain a stable population, covering the whole planet.
In any case, if one would happen to be teleported from Earth, for long he wouldn't notice any difference.
The people live an exceptionally long life. Accepted age of death is 130.
Colonizers were selected after a strict genetic filtering to minimize proneness of illnesses, cancer, defects etc. After colonization was finished, the colony imposed a very strict no-entry rule for non-Hope people. Then, to eliminate as many earth-originated illnesses as possible, the community entered a complete isolated lockdown lasting for exactly 1 Earth-year.
This quarantine included:
- Complete isolation of every resident from each other, in their own distinct, fully equipped apartment assigned by the Colonization Council. The doors were physically locked by authority, and any breach were severely punished. Breach of quarantine was neglectably rare.
- Family members were also isolated from each other. Children under 10 years at the beginning of the lockdown were allowed to stay with one of their parents.
- Physical delivery of any items was minimized to the highest possible degree. Any delivery happened by completely sterilized drones. All the delivered items - food or objects - were sterilized.
- All communication happened by VR Videocalling. Such a call makes the other party appear like in person, but physical contact, the feeling of touch, is not possible.
- All work where humans were needed was possible to be conducted from home-office. Physical presence was replaced by remote-controlled autonomous drones/robots.
- Every resident had to test himself each week. The test showed the presence of 99.9% of the most prominent bacterial, viral, fungal pathogens and genetic illnesses by an accuracy of 98%.
- Any positive tests were given their respective cure if it existed. In the very rare cases with no possible cure, the person was allowed a choice between relocation to another colony or Earth, remaining in quarantine for the rest of his life, or euthanasia.
- All infrastructure - water, waste, air - is completely sterilized. Sterilization happens at the very apartment before entering and after leaving, and also at any place where there is a remote chance of human interaction.
- People were allowed to keep at most one pet per person. Allowed pets were cats, dogs, or domestic rats. These animals were also included in the quarantine, and both the animal and their owner were tested for the respective animal's known pathogens in a similar way as human pathogens, excluding genetic tests.
- After one year, only those who hadn't shown the presence of any illness for 5 consecutive months were allowed to finish quarantine. Those who had, had to wait until they fulfilled this condition.
Is the above method sufficient to eliminate 99.9% of the illnesses occurring on Earth, and to reach a population with no/minimal illnesses - at least for a period?
What is my aim? The story is mostly inspired by COVID-19. I want to have a society which is totally vulnerable to all Earth illnesses. My protagonist would be a pilot in trouble from Earth, who breaches the isolation after an emergency landing, not knowing about the society; and causes a very bad outbreak - analogous to the Indians meeting with Europe - killing most of this society - making it necessary to enforce another quarantine. This time though the society is not well-prepared, and numerous troubles arise.