In this case, I mean a race of sapient beings who are female from the waist up and giant snake from the waist down (they're an all-female race). My world (Alendyias) is medieval fantasy. Now, let me show you what my question is about before restating it:
What Lamia Have Against Them:
- In medieval times, women were discriminated against because of the story of Adam and Eve; as stated in bl.uk (The British Library Website): "According to the Bible, Eve was created from Adam's rib and, having eaten the forbidden fruit, was responsible for man's expulsion from paradise. In medieval art, the responsibility of women for this 'original sin', is often emphasised by giving a female head to the serpent who tempts Eve to disobey God. The story underlined the belief that women were inferior to men, and that they were morally weaker and likely to tempt men into sin."
- On top of that and the medieval belief that women were inferior, these women are part snake; the animal responsible for the First Temptation, and according to the above 'logic', Eve's partner in crime. I don't see a way that medieval people will react well to this....
- They're an all-female species; they need men to continue the species. Unfortunately, humans have magic (7% of the population are Mages) and 2% of those Mages are capable of such feats as parting the Red Sea or lighting an entire forest on fire all at once, and on top of that, humans are already very anti-monster (dang you, goblins and trolls!). In other words, the humans are likely actively attempting full-blown genocide.
What Lamia Have Going For Them:
- Lamia are capable of parthogenesis (birthing clones without male involvement) and can regenerate lost limbs and heal from various wounds near instantly. However, they cannot survive being beheaded or stabbed through the heart.
- Lamia are immune to all poisons and acids. Their blood is both highly toxic and highly corrosive. They can spit streams of caustic fluid to attack opponents (they're literal spitfires=)), which inflicts severe burns and/or corrosion upon contact with organic matter.
- Lamia are immune to mental effects like hypnosis, or the DnD spells Charm, Enslave, or Geas. On the reverse side, Lamia are expert manipulators and hypnotists. They are even capable of Bewitching Dance from a young age (think 16, if you're confused look at Men Protecting Themselves From Bewitchment).
- Lamia are supernaturally fast (they can dodge or catch incoming arrows, slither at speeds rivaling a horse) and strong (capable of overpowering the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger). Additionally, Lamia are always drop-dead gorgeous (considering we're talking about Lamia here, I figured that was the best way to say it).
- I'm willing to implement planarian or starfish-like regenerative abilities; I'm also willing to give Lamia dominative vampirism so thar if a Lamia drains a human being of blood, they exchange their blood in return (one fang drains, the other expels) and the human becomes their thrall. I just need justification to do so; if you feel something extra is needed, please tell me.
- Lamia live anywhere snakes do; there are jungle and forest Lamia, swamp Lamia, desert Lamia, grassland Lamia, cave Lamia, and even sea Lamia.
If any more detail is needed, please inform me; as always, thank you for your input!