How Classes Work: In my book, a mysterious pulse of energy sent a young man named John into another world called Alendyias. This event resulted in John becoming Rorjon, a bluish ghost-like being (Kanyeri) that acts as a force of good, guiding, advising, and blessing the people of his new world (Alendyias). One of these blessings was based on John's love of RPGs like DnD, namely Classes. All Classes magically enhance one's potential (capacity), but only within the limits of their held Class. The level of this enhancement increases as the Class-holder grows and gains experience in their Class, and this increase is measured by Levels.
This question is about the Dancer Class, which falls into the Speed and Support categories. Like all Classes, this Class is almost invariably inherited or granted at birth, magically enhancing the holder's potential. However, the Dancer Class's enhancements concern agility (particularly balance and gracefulness), flair, performance, and beauty.
A Dancer's performances are so moving, they can even affect someone's strength or energy (buff or debuff), even if they aren't looking at her (most Dancers, namely 90%, are female). It's as if her motions set off ripples in the arcane. (If this makes you think of a Dnd Bard, that was not intended.)
Here are some examples to help you:
- Mesmerizing Dance-All viewers (those looking at the Dancer) are mesmerized; everything else fades out of focus. If such a person is injured, they may not feel the pain (like if they step on a nail), but a guy with a sword coming toward them will most likely break the spell. This trance usually leaves viewers who aren't attacked by someone (AKA betrayed; their focus was made a distraction) bewitched. (Think celebrity worship or inspiring passionate fandom.)
- Inspiring Dance-This dance empassions allies within six feet. They gain increased motivation and may or may not gain inspiration.
- Frenetic Dance-The Dancer's frantic movements inspire urgency in everyone connected to them (AKA their allies) and speed their movements drastically as long as they are within six feet. Oddly enough, they consume as much energy as they were before for as long as the Dance is ongoing.
The number of Dances out there is incredible; a Dancer's dances aren't spells per se, but the effects they have can be truly magical.
Since an Aura Dancer can manipulate auras (emotions/spirits), and that Class is just an upgrade of the Dancer Class, your answer should include them too.
So my question is: What role would Dancers (Aura or otherwise) have in fantasy society?
For clarification: I know Dancers would be entertainers, what I'm looking for is what else they can do.
- First Example: With their Dances, a Dancer can give valuable and potentially lifesaving Buffs to soldiers on a battlefield or adventurers fighting monsters. However, I'm not sure if their inherent frailty and low combat utility makes that unfeasible.
- Dancers could be involved in rituals, as the magical effects triggered by their dances could enhance the result, boost the participants, or even add additional effects. In fact, these Dances are rituals of a sort in and of themselves, and I can see a Dancer using Frenetic Dance to hasten the pace of workers. I'm wondering how much society would utilize such Dances.