This is my first time ever posting. Please let me know If I've done anything wrong and I'll do my best to correct it.
This is my first time attempting to create a functional world in D&D5e and I'm a bit stuck on what to include and what to exclude. I'm currently trying to decide what type of goods are sold and where goods are from just in case my party needs to go to a specific region to find a resource or item. The issue is I don't know what types of resources and goods to focus on and what to ignore. Two out of the four people in my campaign are interested in the details of things like this so I want to make it right.
I've looked all over to find guides for goods that I should take into account in a High Fantasy setting. I know I need to include things like lumber, livestock, grain, spices, metals, spell components, and things of the sort but I want to just get someone's opinion who actually knows what they're doing.
The continent I'm currently focusing on is a single landmass that is divided into 15 major provinces. my goal is to have each of them be in charge of a single (maybe double if there are more than 15) general resources. The end goal is to basically make it be like the 12 districts in the hunger games and their roles but it's a pseudo-medieval high-fantasy setting and not a dystopian fiction.
I already have five definitive provinces down. Hopefully, this will help give an idea of what I'm trying to find:
- The Liquor Province. Makes roughly 70% of the continent's booze.
- The Defense Province. Home to the continent's military headquarters and training camps.
- The Smithy Province. The only province where dwarves and elves are over 90% of the population. Is the home to the creation of the finest weapons, armor, tools, jewelry, and household items in the entire continent.
- The Livestock Province. the wide fields of this land are perfect for raising livestock. The forest just on the edge of the province is bountiful with wild game.
- The Grain Province. Located on the Hills of Gnamm. This province has a strangely varied biome that has confused scholars for thousands of years. This province harvests over 50% of the world's wheat, barley, corn, oats, and rice.
There are a lot more things that I should put into the equation like geography and travel like that but for now I'm just looking for ideas and advice.
I'm looking for roughly 15 big umbrella terms/types of goods that are needed in a high fantasy setting for a society to properly function. Not a detailed thing like Rubies, Emerald Dust, and Diamond but something a lot more broad general like Gems. If I should add to the provinces I already have or change them let me know about that too. This is my first time doing anything like this and I'd really appreciate some advice.