I am currently working on character building in preparation for my first movie screenplay. One of my characters is a 15-17 year old girl with a terminal disease. Here are some requirements for the condition:
- It can't be cancer, but it can progress to cancer (like VHL)
- It will have had to be present in her body for at least ten years, even if it was asymptomatic
- She needs to be able to live at home. This may mean the parents caring for her or having nurses present every day.
- It will make her weak and her muscles atrophy. She may need a wheelchair at some point in the past and end up bedridden.
- She will die within the plot of the movie. So, whatever age she ends up being, the disease will have to progress to her being unable to walk and finally dying in her sleep at the same age.
- Similar to many terminal illnesses, this will have to take a large toll on her mental health.
Leave suggestions if you have any, thanks so much for the help!