So, my werewolves are a diet version of the classical lycanthrope.
- They have considerable strength and a thick hide, but a trained human can still overpower them.
- They can be hurt with regular weapons and poisoned with silver items (more precisely, the pathogens that reside on silver surfaces).
- They have a good sense of smell but can be stunned/irritated with strong-smelling chemicals.
- They can regenerate but it takes time.
- They don't transform, only on the first occasion when they turn into their hybrid form then stay that way.
- They are in perfect control, except for the duration of the full moon, in which case some precautions have to be made.
There are three ways one can become a werewolf:
- A curse that strikes random people.
- Getting bitten by a werewolf.
- Being born as a werewolf (werewolves CAN reproduce)
Now, even purebred (born as) werewolves are almost impossible to discern from humans, as far as personalities go. Though they tend to use their Jacobson's organ more frequently.
Werewolves live in self-sufficient tribes. They have agriculture and everything but are limited in number, as the curse is fairly rare, and werewolves practice social distancing (avoid humans) during full moon, along with taking anesthetics before the event to snooze through it.
The "natural" enemies of werewolves are the monster hunters, a terrorist organization that is universally despised (even among humans) for harboring serial killers that found out membership is an easy way to evade authorities without having to give up their hobbies. The only reason this kos (kill on sight) group is able to exist is because of capitalism.
The demand is dead werewolves and monster hunters have a monopoly over the supply; but why? Why would people want werewolves dead when they are so human-like and are frequently former humans, many of whom were in good standing?
The society is medieval, albeit the existence of artifacts (ancient technology that helps out in small ways) makes it more similar to its romanticized (knight in shining armor, etc..) form, devoid of plagues and famine but with a strong feudal society.
The racism towards werewolves has to frame them as a dangerous element that has to be controlled and/or completely eliminated with no room for negotiation and it needs something to stand on. You sow lies from a grain of truth.