We are in a far future setting where humans (or transhumans I should say) achieved two things:
- be able to modify themselves genetically to the point where they can have completely different organs to what we have now
- be able to customize the earths atmosphere to their needs without causing unwanted side effects (like global warming)
The goal is now that nobody has to eat anymore in the way we do now and the plan is to get the necessary nutrients from breathing the customized atmosphere. This can either work by having nutrients directly in the air or the components are in the air so when the transhumans breathe, their new and specialized organs can produce any necessary nutrient. Removing the necessity to drink is not a priority. If they can get their water supply from their atmosphere it is a nice bonus but if they drink it like we do now it is also okay.
My question is: Can this be possible given the two assumptions above?
There are a few potential problems I can think of with this method of nutrient supply:
- breathing may not be efficient enough
- the constant access to food may be a problem
- the needs for nutrients vary too much to have one atmosphere composition that works for anyone anywhere anytime
- the air would be so heavy that it would get too dense in low altitudes or that only people living in low altitudes would have access to food
- other organsims may reproduce incredibly fast in this nutrient rich atmosphere