I am building a world where a country is seceding from Australia.
The country has over 600 citizens interested in the project, and can get tens of thousands more to join once it launches its "gamified" referral system.
Currently, nobody lives within the area it plans to build our city, it is an uninhabited, unused area with a river and forests and some dirt road access.
The country has a constitution, functioning government, citizenship system and is developing digital banking services, business registration services, and planning to settle its claim.
Once the systems are more developed, the nation will begin to fundraise moderate amounts of money from citizens (selling settlement 'packages' to fund infrastructure) and can get the technical expertise to do most things settlement related.
However, the group does not want to go through a process of democratic reform to do this, as it's not easily possible, and there is no legal framework for a new city to be built, nor a viable method to form a new state. The group does not want to rely on 3rd parties to be created, and would rather take its own initiative to become independent.
The goal is to secede peacefully from Australia, within a lifetime
Winning an information war
The nation needs a large number of nations (limited-recognition, and recognised), organisations, politicians, and informational sources to view it as an independent nation. There is a number of ideas to do this.
- Creating front international organisations, and trying to get limited-recognition states to join, creating notability for all member nations, including ours, and also notability for the international organisation.
- Getting serious news articles written about our project and working with journalists to make us look like a force to be reckoned with, but appeal to the Australian public too.
- Building '3rd party' websites with information about nations, and including us in them, so we have enough secondary references to be added to places like Wikipedia, and Google's Knowledge Graph and be referred to as a country.
- Using our technological expertise, we build open-sourced country data packages that include our country inside them, secretly embedding us in thousands of websites and applications around the world.
- Creating 'indexes' (eg: Human Development Index) which include us in sources used by educational institutions, politicians and journalists, further boosting our reputation. One specific index we will create will relate to digital governance, giving our nation a highlight, as this is an area we excel in.
- Seeking diplomatic recognition from other nations, joining as many existing organisations (such as UNPO, ISO, APNIC) as possible.
- Creating our own news organisations, to increase awareness of our project, and to have some news organisation on our side.
- Down the track, lobbying support from politicians.
- Forming a reputable scholarly organisation/university, to promote the political theory and social theory that benefits us.
What else could we do to win this informational war?
The country is exploiting a grey area in law that permits them to build a city autonomously and assume full independence, assume it is fully possible to do what the nation plans to do