as known in the medieval ages wars and death were a normal thing and wars were frequent, in my world, there are two super nations with equal power, but I want to eventually unite them against a third enemy. and to do so i decided that they won't have any major wars between them so that it would be easier to merge them (yes I want them to be merged completely when the third enemy is introduced) but I just can't find a reason for them to have peace, especially the two nations aren't even the same species of humans. their borders are heavily guarded and no interaction other than trade occurs between them
the time is a little confusing though, they are technically in the renaissance era but has been there for hundreds of years, no steam engine or gun powder, but culture and philosophy did evolve.
realizing that the question is a little broad without some explanations here are some:
- the idea of the story I am working on is the ability to shed differences aside when a larger threat is introduced.
- both nations are extremely nationalist and the government uses race to separate the (us) from (them).
- the third force is a third species nation that discovers them( like the Europeans discovering the Americas).
- the two nations are physically different but are technologically similar.
- they are not in a war, but I found it hard to find a reason for them to have peace since they are very different and proud nations (ie what I am asking)
- isolation has been the theme for most of their existence, religion is nonexistent replaced by nationalist ideals.
- they arent very interdependent on trade between them, they can both shut it down but will suffer a little.