How would you build a house big enough for everybody in the world to live in including the homeless people, so we could all be more connected.
People are more than the space they occupy, they also need space to enjoy, to work, to meet, to do all the things that you would do outside the home
There are 7.3 billion people in the world.
Looking only at 'housing', an average house size ranges from 45sqm (Hong Kong) to 214 sqm (Australia) so let's do a mid point and go 130sqm. This means we need a building of around 945,350,000,000 sqm.
The Burj in Dubai is 163 stories - this is currently the tallest number of habitable stories so far. So, let's say we build a building as tall as this, this means we would end up with a square box 76km x 76km 163 stories high. And this is just houses.
However keep in mind:
- You need natural light in your house
- Most people need natural ventilation
Now we need to add:
- Work spaces
- Industrial spaces
- Retail and commercial spaces
- Sports areas and ovals
- Schools, universities, educational facilities
- Governance structures, halls
- Police, defence and military structures
- Entertainment, theatres, plazas
- Water, air treatment, heating and cooling facilities
- Waste, landfill, treatment and recycling centres
- Farming and mining facilities - these would actually take up the majority of your building as these require large surface areas (although you may investigate vertical farming/hydroponics)
These all need to be accommodated too - and you may find the final structure would easily be over 100 times larger than simply housing.
Of course, then you need to allow for transport - for people to be 'connected' they need to get to one another. So then you might need:
- Transport infrastructure
Transport infrastructure easily takes up more than half the land area in cities. So doubling this again may be required. So we end up with a structure 1077km x 1077km by 163 stories high.
However even if everyone lived geographically together, they may not 'feel connected'. A lot of suburban households live next to each other but don't know each other, so you may want to concentrate first on what makes some-one more connected with others.
What you may find may surprise you, feeling 'connected' may have nothing to do with distance...