My search did not turn up anything on this site, which kind of surprised me. So here we go:
- Late Iron Age (think roman) backdrop
- There are augmented humans, really good fighters. They would be able to fight up to [NOT REALLY MY POINT, A LARGE NUMBER] "normal" combatants at the same time and win, given they have enough fuel. Basically a biological tank.
- 500 is actually a huge number of fighters for the armies of the factions within my project.
- Fuel: They need some rather common (low-yield) or rare (high-yield) substances to fuel their abilities. If you take their fuel away, they could just get it by force from another place, since most are naturally occurring substances.
From the perspective of a guild, which creates these fighters at a really high upfront cost and high education costs, how can you ensure loyalty/obedience to your guild?
You lend them to people who pay you. They go on missions (exterminations, protection etc.) .
- Mind Control.
- Make them dumb. To fight effectively they actually have to be smart (akin to modern elite soldiers)
[I removed a bunch of statements intended to "rank" those soldiers power-wise]
There has been some confusion wherever these fighters are wizards, from the future or whatever.
My Point is, it does not matter much. They are humans with the power to kill armies, but normal humans in all other aspects. The interesting part is how to control somebody who is presumably stronger than you and not dumb.