In a post apocalyptic society (let's say northern Arizona or southern Colorado) or just outside of a city what would be Needed to practically 'farm' (produce) modern bullets? The idea is to be able to continue producing modern caliber rounds for maintained weapons ex .308 .223 .45 9mm etc with the least people, space, facilities, and resources possible?
Specifically what I'm looking for is the following:
- About how much space is needed minimum? (square miles? yards? a cul-de-sac?)
- Is this viable outside of a city or even within a city limit?
- What facilities minimum are needed? E.g. a tree nursery, something to cast brass, bullet press? What would need to be built in order to gather gun powder, cast brass, acquire lead?
- How skilled is the labor involved with 'farming' the bullets. I.e. can someone who has an idea of the process teach any old joe how to do it or do you need a cadre of experts?
- How much of these facilities can be hand built and how much would most likely have to be salvaged? For example a water wheel could be made but something like a mine would have to be found.
- Bonus Question: Hand grenades, mortars, and hornet's nest rounds would things like these involve different facilities or can they be produced in conjunction with our general bullet production?
(Less Important just an example) For background let's say it's only been fifty odd years since modern society collapsed and your minimalist survivors just crawled out of a tornado shelter to find their world without power and generally in disrepair. They've managed to build a functioning (if not Spartan) settlement and now want to start producing bullets as a way of both defending themselves as well as to use as trade.
[The above condition of the settlers is more of a loose hypothetical starting point. What I'm more concerned about is how the settlement can be made assuming minimum requirements met. Basically if a better starting point is needed feel free to apply it until the minimum is met. Ex: if they can't be tornado shelter society then what kind of starting point would they need?