Motivation (fictional of course)
Fantasy is full of references to silver swords and other weapons thought to make a poor lycanthrope‘s life miserable. Since silver appears to be too soft for blades, I came up with the following solution: inlay the blade with silver runes or ornaments, so that upon being cut by the steel edge the monster may feel the silver in the wound and suffer the alleged effects.The question is meant to establish the reality, so as to introduce no more than the necessary magic in the setting.
I discovered this tutorial on how to inlay silver into a tomahawk. Let’s assume this technique is used on the blades. How durable will they be? Specifically, I would like rough estimates on the following (obviously a lot depends on the particulars of the situation, but I hope we can still establish orders of magnitude).
- Assuming monster physiology is similar to human physiology, how many times can I cut edge on, before I need to repair the inlays (I guess the answer here is practically infinite, but I better ask. Someone might know about real silver inlayed blades)?
- Assuming I have to parry a steel sword with such a weapon. I guess I wouldn’t do it edge on, but with the side of the blade. How many hits would it take to ruin the inlays (If we can imagine something like an "average human hit")? Let’s say the integrity of the inlay is the percentage of the original silver Volume left in them.
- Might it make sense to reserve one side or section of the blade for parrying or would it completely handicap a practitioner of historical martial arts (for instance Liechtenauer)?
Very preliminary Model on the effects of silver on werewolves
(In response to many justified comments I tried to refine my model)
- Nothing happens as long as silver never enters a wound.
- If 1cm2 of silver enters the wound for 1s, then the werewolf can not heal at that point for 999 heartbeats. In lack of a better theory everything scales linearly. That also means 1/20th also has a huge effect.
- If 1cm2 of silver stays in the wound for 99 heartbeats, the wolf transforms into human form, being defenseless in the process.
- For impure silver lets assume effects scale linearly with purity.