In my pre-plastic world there is a killer who removes unblemished skin from their victims and replaces it with a non-human 'skin', so that one can't tell the replaced skin from the remaining human skin.
What is the best candidate for the replacement material?
Ideally, it should fulfill the following conditions:
- Not made using crude-oil-based materials
- Available in most Caucasian skin tones
- Allows fine stitching to be applied
- May be fixed to or draped across a wire mesh
- Looks as similar to the remaining skin for at least 24 hours of partial exposure to the elements (moist European climate, dressed in appropriate clothing) as possible
EDIT: The skin is only to roughly mask the mutilation and serves no permanent function. The victim is dead and will not be moving in the foreseeable future.
Victims may have almost all skin replaced apart from the face and the palm-side of the hands. Younger victims tend to have more area replaced than elderly ones due to the growth of lesions and the likes.