Please assume the following:
There is a item on the ground and I want nothing but bare earth touching it.
- I cannot move the item myself.
- The item is impervious to fire.
- I cannot afford to guard the place 24/7.
- But I can come back from time to time (maybe even daily) to check.
- EDIT: Dimensions: The item is a pole about 1.5m high and roughly 20 cm radius (at the base), standing upright.
How can I, with common (or not so common) items from the Roman age deter any and all creatures from touching the item?
My few ideas:
- Burn all grass / scrubs in a certain radius around the location.
- Salt the ground around the item to prevent rodents, insects, snails and so forth from traveling into the area.
Do you have better ideas or maybe additions, to this procedure?
- Is there any way to deal with birds? (Scarecrows don't work all the time right?)
- The ground directly under the item is sealed. but what about rodents/insect burrowing their way into the area from the bottom?
I am ready for some handwaving, but I like to keep it to a minimum with the help of this great community!
EDIT: While I can use supplies from the surrounding region and I have the support of the populace, they are not in my workforce. So everything I build would have to be a 1-2 person job.