I'm looking to investigate one aspect of the "real world" implications of teleportation as a super power, much like I did with this question.
In this case, I'm trying to figure out the best method(s) for a Teleporter (aka someone who can teleport) to make money. I'm looking for options to go from rags to riches in a standard 1st world nation. At the start the Teleporter is living paycheck-to-paycheck and wants to retire in 2-10 years, living off of investments after that. Obviously this needs to start with options that don't cost anything for a broke Teleporter, but the character is happy to reinvest money from initial ventures into new ones if doing so opens up more profitable options.
We're talking about a standard "good guy" here, so illegal/immoral methods of monetary gain are not allowed. However, since I suspect it is waaaay too easy for a Teleporter to break international laws I want to allow some leeway. As a result I would accept any answers that require breaking laws as long as:
- Doing so will not get them in trouble in their home country
- The action isn't the kind that will "mar" the person's reputation (potentially ruining chances at fully legitimate business ventures) if splashed across news outlets in their home country
As for the mechanics of the teleportation:
- The Teleporter can instantly teleport to anywhere they have previously visited, with ~1 minute of cool-down time
- They can bring or send anyone/any object they touch, with a mass limit of roughly twice their own weight (i.e. they can teleport and bring someone else, or teleport two people somewhere else).
- The teleportation is "smart" and works like normal movie teleportation. Specifically, velocity adjusts to match the local reference frame at your destination, whether that is on the ground, in a vehicle, etc...
Final note: many businesses fail due to the difficulty in getting their product in front of people, even when it is desirable. For the sake of simplicity though let's assume that the Teleporter is able to effectively use their ability to advertise to a broad audience (imagine teleporting into the middle of the live broadcast of the Superbowl, for instance). Therefore assume that the Teleporter can get himself in front of the desired audience, and just focus on what ventures are most likely to be profitable.