Supposedly, the bladed or spiked weapon which fits on the end of a firearm derives its name from the French city of Bayonne. In a world (described in modern English) with no link or knowledge of the city, what might the rifle attachment be called?

Similarly, what would the mounting mechanism (for light bulbs, for example) deriving its name from the bayonet be called?

  • $\begingroup$ There is Bayonne, New Jersey ;) $\endgroup$
    – Alexander
    Mar 19, 2019 at 17:58
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Names are highly opinion based. It could be whatever. $\endgroup$
    – L.Dutch
    Mar 19, 2019 at 18:09
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ "What is the best name for X?" questions are off-topic as they are always primarily opinion-based. $\endgroup$
    – JBH
    Mar 19, 2019 at 18:25
  • $\begingroup$ It would probably be named after the inventor. $\endgroup$ Mar 19, 2019 at 18:55
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Probably would've been called a glaive or a fauchard - both names used for the medieval polearm mounted blade. I'd hazard that glaive, being shorter and punchier a sound would've been the word of choice over time. $\endgroup$ Mar 19, 2019 at 20:08

2 Answers 2


Well obviously it would be called

The Rooty Tooty Stab and Shooty

But seriously though, it could be anything. If it were invented in Boston, it could equivalently be called the Bostoner. Or people could be really boring and call it a rifle knife. Ooh I know! Gunblade!

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Perhaps the "Bang-Bang Stab-Stab"? $\endgroup$ Mar 19, 2019 at 19:53

A blade fixed to a rifle barrel would probably just be referred to as a fixed blade or knife. This is similar to how Kleenex is a brand name facial tissue, and Scotch Tape is a brand of masking tape. In my area of the world, these items are commonly referred to as Kleenex and Scotch tape respectively, despite having a generic name.

I feel that this is just as likely to be the case as it being referred to by another locales name.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .