In my world, high velocity projectile weapons have become obsolete due to a shield/forcefield that can nullify and deflect projectiles traveling at, or above supersonic speed (EDIT: Firearms are defunct, and obsolete. As such Sub-sonic ammunition for Firearms does not exist). As a result they have adopted martial weapons akin to those of medieval ages and have donned armour to protect against melee and ranged (Bow, Crossbow) aggressors.
The question is what materials and composition would lightweight (such as Textile) and heavy armour (Such as plate and leather) be made from?
- The armour would have to protect against slashing, stabbing/piercing, and blunt force trauma (Light armour able to protect enough to have moderate injuries, and plate enough to be able to have no to minor injuries)
- It would not have to protect against supersonic projectiles or energy
weapons (EDIT: Subsonic ammunition used by firearms is defunct and
does not play a role in armour materials and compososition)
- Complex materials can be used due to synthesisation (Machine that can synthesise materials), but complex processes cannot be used due to lack of infrastructure (Must be able to be made, worked, and repaired by hand like that of an armour-smith)
- Materials that can be used cannot be mythical/fictional, and must exist in this current day as at least a working prototype.
- Armour must not exceed 50kg (110 lbs)
- Armour would be used in everyday use and must be able to be repaired in a short amount of time (maximum of 5 days labour @ 8 hours a day)
- Abundant and easily obtainable materials would be preferred to keep costs down