The world is populated not with animals but with "monsters". "Monsters" appear randomly in particular places, and can be caught using specialized devices shaped like a ball. There are many different monsters (although not as many as we have animals), and about 20 distinct "types", some of which are better at fighting certain "types", and some of which are completely immune to other "types". They are all fairly smart creatures and don't seem to mind living in their balls, so they are used by people for all sorts of things (including simple labor), but they are also often pitted against eachother by their owners in monster battles. Fortunately no monsters are ever permanently injured by such battles, so no one considers monster battling to be an ethical dilemma.
The main character shows up on the scene, and he is simply better than everyone at monster fighting. His advantages can be seen in a number of ways:
- While most people only carry around 1 or 2 monsters, he carries up to 6
- While most people only carry around one type of monster, he carries a wider variety so he can respond with more flexibility in any given battle
- Despite the fact that he has not been monster battling for very long, he quickly trains up his team so that any individual one of his monsters can beat up most others, even without his clear number advantage
- Some of the adults he beats in battle are trainers who are generally recognized as being top-notch trainers, who have spent years in training
- And of course he goes on to save the world, and is generally recognized as being a prodigy at monster battling.
My question is: why is he so much better than everyone else? It can't be because he spends more time in practice than everyone else. In fact, he's been at this less than most of the people he beats, and the world is filled with people who, like him, are primarily occupied with training up their own monsters. Certainly his habit of carrying around more monsters, and more varied monsters, helps his cause, so I think the main question is: what lets him carry more monsters than most, or what stops others from carrying around many as well? A good answer will also explain why he only carries 6 monsters himself. A great answer will also explain why he is able to train up his monsters so much more effectively than everyone else, or why they are so much more effective at battling. In short:
What is it about my kid that makes him so much more awesome than everyone else? Of course the story isn't about why he's so much better: it's about what he accomplishes. So the ideal answer will provide for easy handwaving (perhaps via hints dropped throughout the story) to allow for easy suspension of belief so the story itself can proceed unhindered.