I have an ambitious world that I'm building on my leisure time mainly for the purpose of game design, a pool of ideas that I might be able to use. Apologies if any of it sounds vague, I'm still working out a bunch of plot holes since I just recently started to note all the ideas down. If there's anything that needed more clarification, I wouldn't mind coming back to edit it in.
To give you an idea of why I came up with this, my ideas are highly influenced by anime, while some ideas are references to various movies. The main focus at this point is to make the world feel cool rather than full realism, although I would like proper justifications for the ideas that came out.
Now, onward to the main question.
I'm attempting to combine the ancient warfare where two armies clashes in melee, supported by ballistic/energy ranged fighter equipped with futuristic rifles.
- Spacefaring is available and common, so other species exist, mostly humanoid (not very creative with different species)
- It's common for a nation to field an army consist of 1/3 melee combatants
- Some living beings in the world have innate energy called "Blue Energy" (think of it as mana) that enhances their physical abilities or performs supernatural feat (supernatural in terms of the real world, like shoot fire out of our hand)
- Most of the melee combatants have good affinity to "Blue Energy"
- Other than small arms or heavy ordinances, weapons are forged by a type of metal with high affinity to "Blue Energy". Using the living being's "Blue Energy" as the source, the weapons become more durable than standard alloy found in the world
- Melee combatants could sustain several small arms fire and come out with minor injuries unless vitals were hit
- Cavalries are available (although the mounts vary, I don't think I will dwell too much into it here yet)
I will list out the issue I'm currently having and the current solution that I'm having which I'm not quite satisfied with.
Idea 1: Melee combat is the bread and butter for any battles.
Problem 1: Artillery, mortars, machine gun exist in the world, making melee charges risky/obsolete.
Solution 1: Although not invincible, most of the melee combatants are as tough as a tank. Sustaining direct hit from artillery likely wouldn't kill them.
Idea 2: Cavalry as the main shock force on the open battlefield.
Problem 2: Cavalry charges into machine gun doesn't sound too fun.
Solution 2: Sparsely utilized, only called in as tank replacement for quick encirclement.
Idea 3: Infantry uses energy musket rifle (like the one in Fallout), instead of fully automatic rifles. This is to bring line infantry to prominent in the world.
Problem 3: If there's a spaceship, why couldn't people invent fully automatic rifles.
Solution 3: None at the moment.
Hopefully, someone could give me insights for my ambitious ideas. Thanks in advance.