This really gets to me when I watch modern-day Christmas movies.
These movies usually present the notion that Santa exists and adults don't believe in him. From what I've seen, it's either because of one incident where someone didn't get what they wanted or they simply grew out of it.
This creates a paradox: people don't believe in Santa and yet he unquestionably exists.
How do you create a world where
- Some (or most) adults do not believe in Santa, but
- Santa exists and fulfills all of his cultural duties (in the US: giving gifts to good children and giving coal to bad ones, eating milk and cookies, riding on a sleigh, going down a chimney, etc.)
Points to consider:
- People will notice a sleigh on their roof and extra presents under the tree or coal in their stocking
- Santa could be tracked in the sky, perhaps even an app could be developed to pinpoint his location for irrefutable proof
- He lives at the North Pole. He might even pay taxes