There is US Army convoy travelling through Czech Republic right now, and obviously, they had to make several stops to refuel. And, stupid idea arises in my head:
What if army wanted to switch to solar power?
I call you, fellow worldbuilders to help me investigate on that idea.
What would make solar powered army vehicle feasible?
- Such vehicle should be "war ready." Not necessary tank, but you should be able to use it in direct combat. So no "back front support" vehicle
- Such vehicle should use as much as possible power from easily obtainable natural resources: Wind and solar. Priority on solar. Goal is having vehicle powered at least 80% from these resources. Gasoline is allowed but should play secondary role
- You should be able to operate it at any given condition (cloudy, night)
- You can assume, that first prototypes would be used in places, where you get loads of sun naturally. Middle East is first destination of such vehicle
- Other parameters should be comparable, or even better than its counter-party powered by nowadays resources (solar powered tank should be better choice than diesel one, the same for armed vehicles)
- Money is not a problem. You may assume that you are given necessary budget for this.