Here are what I wants in my world:
- Early generation of computer with a bulky size and very limited capability, like the text-based computer in Fallout universe.
- Limited guidance and detection system. Missiles do exist but the range is very limited and could be avoided with countermeasures or even by a skilled pilot. Radar & sensor exist, but like above, the range is limited and might show a false alarm.
- Early generation of jet engines that are slow enough for the fighter pilots to occasionally engages in machine gun dogfight.
- Colored television exist. So does the handheld transceiver.
- BONUS: No atomic bombs and no space exploration.
The problem is I want the electronic devices in this world to stay in early cold war era for as long as possible. Let's say, it need a thousand years or more to discover smartphone, or even better: NEVER.
Since magic does exist in this world, I had been thinking about making the people in this world (or even the world itself) to emits Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) that would fry any electronics that use transistor but not the other one that use vacuum tube so they'll only have the "classic" electronics.
Does the EMP really works that way? Does the absent of transistor really matter for a world to move forward the era? Or actually the vacuum tube is enough to recreate the world we currently living in? Do you have more plausible solution to this problem?
EDIT: Even though I'd used the "cold war era" term in here, it doesn't have to be about the alternative reality where the conflict between "USA vs Soviet" happen, instead, I mean it to be simply a technological era in the middle 20th century. Think about it like medieval era; This era can be related to the alternative reality universe like Assassin's Creed or a fantasy universe like Lord of the Ring.