The Settings: A pod of nanobots stranded on earth-like barren planet orbiting sun-like star. Assume no life form has formed on the planet, and nanobots popuate the planet.
- Could they evolve complex ecology (techno-sytem in place of ecosystem) where plant-like and zoo-like species composed entirely from evolved nanobots (instead of biological cellular life)?
- Assuming Nanobot's considerably efficiency at utilizing energy for manufacturing more of them, modifying future generation for better survivability, and assuming that they were quite intelligent as a swarm, is it possible that they evolve at extremely faster rate?
- If a sapient species of their life line do evolve, is it possible for them to utilize other "life" of their own line (composed of evolved nanobots) in form of biotech, like intentionally evolve a species to a specialized breed for their own purpose, like transport, air transport, bioships?
- Evolved multicellular (multinanobots?)-like species has their cell (nanites?) capable of communicate range limited to a single individual
- Brain-to-brain communication with different individual (another colony of specialized nanites?) could be done via general purpose (imagine usb port) wiring slots (kinda similar to James Cameron's avatar nerve-tip).