I am working on a souls-like game and I would like to have an item that works like Fragrant Branch of Yore from DS2.
I do not want to copy the concept of petrification from DS2 so while the item should work in a similar way I would like it to have different look, feel and lore behind it.
In order to describe the mechanic (requirements) I will use the words "door" and "key" for simplicity. The question is which items (enchantments, etc.) can be used to act as "doors" and "keys".
- Any "door" can be opened with any "key"
- Once opened the "door" stays open
- It must be possible to purposefully construct a "door".
- The "key" can only be used once.
- Creating a "door" may require the use of magic but opening a "door" with a "key" should not require magic abilities
- "Doors" are not portals. You can not teleport to a different location by walking through a "door".
Desired but not required:
- The "doors" can appear randomly (like vines growing over a normal door)
- the "keys" should be rare but it should not be obvious where to find one (for example if only rich people could possess them, it would make no sense to search for a key in a poor man's house)