In Fae mythology iron is very harmful to them. They cannot stand to be near it (in some versions it even harms them) and their magic does not work on iron or on anyone holding iron.
If a Fairy was captured by a town full of humans and placed in the center of an iron cage she would be completely helpless. How could her friends free her from this trap given that:
- The Humans hate and fear the Fae, none would willingly help them.
- The fae cannot approach within a meter (3 feet) of the cage.
- Their magic also fails to work inside that area.
- Even a fae outside the area cannot create magical effects inside it.
- They are small, can fly, and can turn invisible but they are no match for humans in a fight.
- Their magic is limited to auditory and visual illusions and weak telekinesis.
- They do have a limited supply of fairy dust that can make one or two humans unconscious but not enough for the entire village.
- The cage is not heavily guarded, there is usually one or two people near it.
- The cage is inside a building and while not anchored down it is heavy enough that it would be hard for the Fae to lift, especially while staying one meter away from it.