I'm the city designer for a new city we're calling Morrowville. Having some of the worlds top minds, flying cars have been invented, but can only fly a few feet (2-4) from the ground and not everyone has made the switch, so roadways are still required. I've proposed a number of traditional roadways to the city and tried to reduce traffic where possible, but was told the designs weren't "innovative enough".
I've been tasked with making all roadways (streets AND highways), with 3 levels, to give the city a futuristic feel, and to provide the city with extra zoning space for businesses and houses. I have had no problems with the base design yet, but I'm having a significant amount of trouble when it comes to intersections and layer traversal.
The levels need to be able to merge vertically and horizontally at designed intersections, similar to freeway heights. For instance, on a normal road, one might need to turn right off the freeway, and would simply get in the correct lane and turn right. On this new design, I could have a possibility of needing to turn right onto the upper road from the middle or bottom road perpendicularly. I also need to be able to get from the bottom road to the top road in the same fashion, and there are only three requirements for the road.
- It must be 3 levels, all traversable from any roadway.
- It must not slow down traffic unreasonably (No stopping for some high speed elevator).
- It must be compact, the normal cloverleaf intersections for 2 directional roads apparently "just doesn't work" for them.
- No budget, this city is the future!
Material requirements are met, and businesses/houses need to be able to be placed along this, although for highways and freeways the railings will prevent that except for at designated toll booths. We're just waiting on the design, so please help me keep my job!
How can I make a 3 level roadway that has easily traversable intersections and traffic alleviating properties?
- Time period is 59 years from now.
- Technical requirements can be stretched, but I'd like to keep it relatively plausible. No blatant hand waving like portals.
- There's no magic in this world.
- The businesses on each level are class based. Middle class in the middle, you get the picture.
Edit: Please excuse my atrocious artistic abilities.
I need every single area to connect, and find that the roads will cross no matter what traditional pattern I use.