If they should be, why?
This is one of the questions I have about my own world, where the premise is that 5% of mankind possess a power. Those that deal catastrophic damage are rare, where as the common super powered individual is only limited to a small radius.
- Alpha has the ability to expel shock waves. The largest area of damage A can cause is a 2333.5 meter radius, or 1.45 miles.
- Beta however, has the same ability. The largest area of damage B can cause is a 575 meter radius.
However, A is more likely to die than B. This is due to the amount of power required and can be life threatening to the user. This means that B is able to repeat this sort of attack at a maximum of three times before he'll die.
Both have to limit themselves if they want to cause city wide chaos and still be able to fight off vigilantes or a super powered law enforcer.
Now that this is established, how does someone activate their superpower?
The user has to experience a very negative experience that could be considered life threatening or incredibly harmful either physically or mentally. The threshold is relative to the user, but common trends have been detected through out the years.
Pre pubescent children and teenagers cannot wield a super power that easily. The older someone is, the more likely their 'unlock' manifests. The young adult age group is the most common, while the adolescent age group is the most uncommon, second to children and toddlers.
Which are the most common?
Physical manipulation, mutation and enhancement proves to be the most common superpower to exist.
Manipulating other properties of the world is rare. You cannot manipulate reality or past events.
Shape shifting and transforming is an incredibly rare Aberration as well.
Can they be trained?
Some powers cannot be trained to improve. Because this is the first generation of Aberrants [the word used to describe a super powered individual,] there has not been a point in which the sky is limit. There is a 75% chance that your power output is permanently capped and a 25% chance that it can be improved upon, with the ceiling being slightly higher than some.
Forgot to mention this, but it is possible to have two superpowers, but this group takes up 3% of the super powered population.
So how does jail work?
Methods to contain aberrant criminals has been to place them in a sedated state, using depressants in the duration of their sentence. This inhibits their mental capacity and motor skills in an attempt to lower the chance of re-activating their powers. The ethics and legality of this punishment has been continuously questioned, but remains one of the most popular methods of preventing prison breaks from aberrant criminals.
Aberrant criminals will be transported into super max prisons in the not so far future to ensure that escape is next to impossible. It has only been around 20 years since aberrations have started appearing, so methods of apprehending and stopping super powers are still in the works.
With all of these facts in mind, how would you approach this world as a law enforcement officer, who happens to have a high ranking?
What would be your thoughts as a civilian or an aberrant who is constantly denied a job because they happen to be born with something they didn't choose to have?
I would also like to add that coming up with ways to detained aberrants has been a difficult thing. I've thought about implementing maximum security prisons like Ryker's [Marvel Comics] while making sure that these people cannot use their powers [hence the depressants.]