In my book series, a group of a few hundred explorers are sent from a planet called Ishgabangaloodoo to explore Sea World.
Some things to know about Ishgabangaloodoo:
- Its citizens are referred to as Ishgas
- It culturally resembles Victorian Britain but has technology on the level of Star Wars
- It is a planet city (think Coruscant from Star Wars)
- The Ishgas are the descendants of the Atlanteans (the ancient inhabitants of Sea World, but this history has been forgotten)
Some things to know about Sea World:
- The planet is almost completely underwater, with only a few scattered islands poking above the ocean surface. These islands are inhabited by the Dolphinesian (think native Hawaiian) and Platypusian (think Maori) Tribes, as well as a Kangaroo Island (think Aboriginal Australians) and a small pirate colony.
- The planet was not always like this, being relatively Earth-like until a magic ritual gone horribly wrong flooded the planet.
- The native civilization of the areas now underwater was the Atlantean Civilization. They built the remarkable, majestic, and ahead-of-its-time metropolis of Atlantea, but they left the planet for Ishgabangaloodoo 10,000 years earlier when the planet flooded.
- The Atlanteans placed waterproof domes over a little less than half of their city, but the city flooded too fast for them to protect the entire city, so they left.
- Underwater, civilizations of anthropomorphic fish (Reef City) and anthropomorphic crustaceans (The Lobster Empire) have sprung up. Both have Roman-level technology and organization, but the Lobsters are more aggressive.
Some things to know about the exploration team:
- The group of explorers numbers around 2,000
- The explorers have no desire to colonize the planet and are instead looking for artifacts of Atlantean History
- The explorers have built more waterproof domes over the parts of the city they are exploring
- The explorers, after unknowingly stealing an Atlantean artifact from their territory, have antagonized the Lobster Empire and this has resulted in a retaliatory raid that saw the lobsters stealing the explorers' entire stored food stash
- Since they were not expecting underwater civilizations, the Ishgas did not bring much with them in terms of weapons, so they have their hands full defending against lobster raids and patching leaks in their domes.
- Ishga crops will not grow in the sand at the bottom of the exploration domes, so farming in the domes is not an option
- The island civilizations are very hostile to outsiders and will not provide the Ishgas with food
- The Ishgas have access to 10 submarines as well as scuba suits that can provide the user with oxygen for up to 2 hours
- The Ishgas are operating in areas anywhere from 300-500 feet below the surface.
- Eating sentient beings is considered cannibalism, so they will not eat the corpses of dead Lobster Empire soldiers unless they get desperate
- Another food shipment from Ishgabangaloodoo would take about a month to arrive.
- The water temperature is around the same as that of the Caribbean.
Now for my question: Now that the Ishgas have been cut off from their food supply with no easy way to get it back, what will they survive on until more food from Ishgabangaloodoo?