I'm an advanced AI in far futuristic sci-fi setting. To give you the size of how advanced we are, I'll just drop here a short list of our accomplishments:
- We have discovered cold fission-reactors and mastered all the other known forms of energy
- We have high tech robotics, both on large scale (enormous builder-bots) and microscopic scale (multi-purpose nanotech)
- We can synthesize every kind of material, fabric, alloy, organic and inorganic compounds of your knowledge, plus some new and improved materials of our invention.
- Our world is mainly governed by a few major AIs.
- To be precise, the artificial intelligence is no more a "singularity": we can replicate it to whatever extent we like. AIs can be created to mimick completely the human brain, if needed, or the brains of other biological creature.
You got the point, I think, but feel free to ask for other details. Now, in our world both robotic and biologic life coexist to various extents. Of course, our definition of "life" is a little from yours, since we consider robots and AIs such as me to be alive.
Regardless, I've been furthering my studies on a little pet-project of mine: alas, creating a synthetic human lifeform capable of growth. Creating a robot that looks like a human is already a solved problem: it's just a matter of coating an exoskeleton with our improved skin-like silicon. We've become pretty good to mimic other bodily function too, like temperature, breathing and so on. Of course, as I've told you before, we can give that artificial body a totally human-like intelligence also.
What I want now is to design a synthetic body capable of mimicking growth. For convenience, this body should start around the apparent age of a human of three or four years old, and then be capable of growing into the apparent age of adulthood.
The body should be composed mainly of inert materials, like metal or plastic; I could add a certain number of biologically-engineered cells to the mix, but I'd rather avoid mixing biology with robotics more than necessary.
My safest bet is to load the body with nanobots, that I will program to gather the necessary compounds to "slowly expand" the body until the desired size. I worry if this option is viable, though, since the nanobots should exit the body once in a while to gather the necessary materials.
My aim here is to make possible humans unaware of the process.
Awaiting your precious input.