I plan to make this a series of questions to avoid being overly broad. Each question will address a particular fantasy species ("race" in RPG terms).
The "racial" traits will be based on the content from this question though the specific race in question will have traits in the question: Medieval politics with fantasy races
World Concept: Similar to the Percy Jackson or Harry Potter series I am envisioning a world within a world.
- Modern day setting
- Fantasy races live in secret
- An as yet undefined force/magic impairs humans when they interact with magical races/activity
My request: I am looking for peoples/cultures/tribes from the real world that no longer exist. The idea here is that x, y, z tribes that based on real world history ceased to functionally exist were actually comprised of a fantasy race passing as human. For example: The Huns of this world were actually Dwarves of the magical world.
- In the past, fantasy races openly existed alongside humans
- Many conflicts we study from the past were actually conflicts between fantasy races
- At some point magic divided the human/fantasy worlds
- For this question I am specifically interested in Elves. Your answer should provide a historic group or groups that best fit the constraints of the question and provide supporting evidence as to why it is a good answer.
- The real world tribe (RWT) needs to be from Europe/Asia/Africa
- The RWT should have ceased to exist prior to 1500 CE. They can have been destroyed in battle or absorbed into a larger culture or option 3 (whatever that is)
- Should meet, as well as possible, the traits defined below (obviously some are magical and aren't possible in humans; I'm looking for compatibility, not exact matches):
- Elves are long lived though not immortal. On average elves live to be 350
- Each elf tends to choose a few skills (usually fewer than 6) to perfect in their lifetime. These can be manufacturing skills, martial skills, as well as things like trading and public speaking.
- Elves would rather be working on honing their skills (even martial skills) than fighting with others. They are not so much peaceful as often self absorbed and will ignore provocations
- Once roused to fight they are deadly. They are not naturally stronger or faster but their combat skills are second to none.
- Elves live in multi-racial cities for the most part, though some shun society and live in small enclaves reserved for elves (yes, in the forest mostly).
- Elves can excel at pretty much anything due to their long lives and penchant for focus on certain things.
- Elves generally tolerate most races, though can often see them as lesser beings due to their short lives
- Elves inherently distrust orcs due to the fact that the orcs can't keep long term agreements
- Elves would probably rule the world if they were not the smallest race by population
- Elves have a higher percentage of their population capable of using magic
Additional new traits for the elves:
- There are several flavors of elf. Wood, Wild, Dark, Sun, Moon (Yes this is currently D&D based in my head)
- They are very similar but do fight one another from time to time. This means an answer should include similar peoples banded into subgroups that are geographically co-located.