With the setting and criteria provided below, how would a country make an artificial winter that targets the North American Continent?
The story that will use this artificial winter is set in the following setting:
- Alternate universe that mirrors our own.
- The year is 2025, and science, technology and world politics continue on the same track they are currently on.
- Besides the different year, the only differences between our universe and this one are that a powerful nation has been planning this artificial winter for quite a while now and has put their plan into effect.
This whole artificial winter thing has been in the works for quite a while now, so you can assume that a lot of R&D has gone into making this happen. As such, you can incorporate some advances in climate control that are not currently possible today. However, these must meet the following criteria:
- Your proposed advance in technology must not provide a complete
black boxsolution to this problem. IE The Snowy-Blowy-0-Matic Artificial Winter Creator 4000™ hasn't been invented quite yet.
- Should be based in our current understanding of the laws of physics and/or chemistry.
Criteria for the artificial winter:
- It must last at least 6 months,
- Cause enough snowfall to be disruptive to become a national crisis
- It does not need to cover the whole of the North America Continent, but must cover enough to be majorly disruptive to the US and Canada on a national level.
- The plan to make this winter cannot have potentially civilization-ending (or resetting) consequences.
- The artificial winter itself will be the main disruption to North America, not the side effects of making the winter happen. (I'm looking at you Tsar Bomba;)
- The winter should mostly be confined to North America.
A good answer will:
- Be scientifically based (no magic)
- Be plausible
- Explain the side effects of your plan to make the artificial winter happen
- Note: this does not mean that you also have to explain the effects of a 6 month long winter, but I would love to hear those if you want to go into detail.
- Take no more than 50 years of setup time (IE: cannot have been started before the year 1975)
The criteria for the artificial winter conditions have been changed slightly.