So there's this town of 80.000-90.000 people which grew quickly with the industrialization boom, but nowadays there are no big companies here, nor good opportunities for young people. So the youth is leaving this town either to study anywhere else or to find better jobs, and older people are the only ones who stay.
The setting is like Earth today, except some random people (only 2 in this town) have certain superpowers. There's a kind of overpowered "hero" (call him Mike) with superspeed and pyrokinesis who fights crime or anything he considers wrong. The other one plays the role of the super-rich "villain" (call him James). He has the power to manipulate people.
So the thing is: James wants to actually improve this town, he just doesn't care how. Anything that works would be fine. Considering that he can convince local politicians to make any law he wants and that he has the money to invest in anything, how should he use this in order to make people want to work / live here?
- I'm looking for a way to create jobs for the people living here (and making it attractive for outsiders to move to this town from anywhere else).
- To achieve this, he will use mainly his wealth, but he can use his manipulation as a secondary tool.
- He's not giving his money as a present, he will also get benefits from this on the long run.
So, he has to start some kind of business aiming to ruthlessly take control of the city at the same time that he is creating opportunities for the people.
Edit: I wanted to make the line between Hero/Villain kinda blurry. Mike doesn't care for the wellbeing of the people, he just uses his powers to stop those he thinks are wrong. James is a ruthless businessman. He does what he thinks would be beneficial on the long run, even to the point of ruining the lives of certain people on short term. Think for example wrecking an abandoned building where homeless people sleep at night. He buys the place and builds a factory/hotel... Something that will create jobs, etc.
- James is in his 30s, Mike in his 20s.
- Both stay here for emotional reasons (both where raised here but other than that, no common past).
- James inherited a fortune from his father's early death, and as he didn't earn it himself, he feels as if he has to use the money for a good cause.
- The reason for superpowers is still unknown, some people just have them since they were young.