The ability to telepathically communicate with and control any of your infinite other-dimensional selves is rare, but exists!
Rules for how this works:
- Although dimensions and possibilities are infinite, there is somehow a constant. Those born with the telepath ability in one dimension, have the ability in all dimensions that person exists in.
- Communicating with another you consists of essentially taking a back-seat in their mind and thinking thoughts at them. You receive all senses but only one person at a time can control the body.
- You can fight mentally for control of the body but with a massive advantage to the person who is in their own dimension.
- Doing "something" in one of your other bodies establishes neural pathways and teaches that thing to them remarkably fast.
- As you can only telepath with yourself, there exists a sense of self that is loosely defined, try and think of it in a spiritual sense. There are some dimensions where you don't exist and thus, are not able to "travel" to. You may be dead, never conceived, there may be a boy in your family around your age who isn't you. Twins are not both you. There is only one or none you's per dimension.
- There is an infinite number of dimensions but you can interact with just one additional dimension at a time. You can multi-task fairly well with telepathy and are able to complete ordinary activities and conversations in both dimensions at once.
- Other dimensional selves can and do spontaneously enter your mind and talk about/ask/demand various things as an approximation it happens about as much as you do to them.
- Travelling to a new dimension is 100% random, you can not pre-emptively search for specific characteristics
- You can travel to any specific dimension as long as can remember the you that exists there. How memory works is complicated, people often remember thinking about something rather than remembering the actual thing, after years of doing this the original memory can become incredibly distorted. Telepaths will still be able to travel so long as there is something genuine in the memory.
- If a telepath has mixed multiple dimensions in one memory, they will only travel to a dimension if one person is clearly dominant in the memory. It is all about who you are travelling towards.
- Telepathic communication is not necessarily words. You can think in language, pictures, smells, emotions, memories and whatever else. Thus it is possible to give someone else the memory necessary to travel to another specific dimension.
- A telepath is born with telepathy but it takes some serious cognitive focus to use. Children under 2 have not yet developed the ability to remember or imagine so no visiting new dimensions until they are at least 4
As a young child, telepaths often travel a lot forming relationships with their like-minded selves in other dimensions and using pooled knowledge to learn new skills. However, every new dimension you travel to forms the connection both ways and it becomes increasingly chaotic the more new worlds you visit. If someone were to know know too many other selves, then when they need to fly an escape helicopter it would all be a jumbled mess and they wouldn't remember which of their selves took flying lessons. Because of this, telepaths are predominately limited by their mental, organisational capacity.
I feel its necessary to put a link to (Dunbar's number) here. I am not asking about the scientific average for how many dimensions a telepath can simultaneously hold in their mind, I am asking for ways someone might IMPROVE this. But this number is a fair approximation with a few reminders: You only have to remember them, not maintain a relationship, you interact with people in your own dimension too and humans are adaptive. Dunbar's number does not take into account how telepaths consciously try to improve their memory as it is a known strength it is a large part of a telepaths life.
A certain character knows A SOLUTION that will allow telepaths to better use their ability. Somehow, this solution allows any given telepath to notably increase the number of skills they have access to via their other selves. Worldbuilding.se What is this miraculous solution?
Answers must fit within the logic of my universe but do not necessarily have to include people/concepts from other dimensions. Answers will be judged based off how how well the solution can be applied, and whether or not it would actually improve the number of dimensions you can handle.